Vegan or Whey Protein? It's your choice!
Make as vegan (or not), this versatile granola bar recipe is delicious and protein packed either way. The combination of nut butter and added protein makes this granola bar a snack that will sustain and revive you. For this recipe, I used Mike's Mix Vegan Protein and Mike's Mix Honey Powder but all the ingredients can be switched to suit your specific dietary needs. Additionally, feel free to mix up the recipe by adding seeds and/or dried fruit.
- 1/2 cup Mike’s Mix Vegan Protein or Mike’s Mix Whey Protein
- 2 cups quick oats
- 2 Tbsp Mike’s Mix Ground Flax
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup nut butter
- 1/4 cup honey or brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- In a large bowl, mix protein, oats, flax, cinnamon and salt.
- In a different bowl, mix nut butter, honey/brown rice syrup, almond milk and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients. Combine the two and then mix in chocolate chips.
- Spray an 8 x 8 pan and pour ingredients into the pan. Spread the mixture evenly, pressing down firmly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 20 minutes.
Using Vegan Protein
Made up of Faba Bean and Lentil proteins, Mike's Mix Vegan Protein is a great way for vegans (and non-vegans alike) to add diversity to their diet. However, many find the flavor of protein powders to be a bit strong. I found I can bypass the flavor in some smoothie combinations but my best success has been using it in baking. I have found it to be very easy to add protein, vegan or otherwise, to most recipes without any negative effect.
I use Mike's Mix Honey Powder as a replacement in recipes that call for honey (or other syrups) as I find it easier and cleaner to use. In this instance though, not using honey/syrup, left the bars a little dry. I recommend using honey or brown rice syrup as noted in the recipe below.
Did you try this recipe? How did you make it? I would love to hear how it worked out for you! You can e-mail me at: email@example.com.